Monday, January 27, 2014

Review of The Body Finder

Description from Goodreads

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.


My Review

“I think he thinks the sirens are for him too”

Kimberly Derting has a way of writing where you are worried about the characters but she still is able to make you laugh at the same time. She has an incredible talent when it comes to developing her characters. You find yourself nodding along as you read about how they feel because you understand where they are coming from. The plot of the story blew me away as well. Its very unique and I enjoyed learning more about Violets ability and how it affected her own life and her loved ones lives as well.

So, what can I say about The Body Finder? This is actually the second time I’ve read it. I was finally able to get all of the books in the series so I decided to reread it to make sure I remembered everything that I needed to. I’m so glad that I did! The fact that I had already read The Body Finder did not change how I reacted this time around. I was still gasping at the same intense situations and laughing at the same jokes. Reading a book for a second time can sometimes be boring but not with The Body Finder!

Most of the story is dominated by the relationship between Violet and Jay. You learn that they are childhood friends and basically grew up together. Even though the angle of high school romance has been exhausted in this genre, Violet and Jay just struck me as having a relationship that was on a whole different level. Their feelings are so raw and the tension throughout the story is almost palpable.

I love every single character in The Body Finder, which is very rare for me. I usually find at least one character that I somewhat dislike or downright loathe. I love how Violet is very independent and yet she allows herself to lean on Jay when she needs to. She is aware of how she feels and does not try to be something she is not. Jay is a very strong character and yet he also allows himself to connect with his emotions on a deeper level. The love between Violet and Jay can be easily seen and felt by the reader. Chels, Jules and Claire are a great mix of friends for Violet. They each provide something to the story, whether it’s pure innocence, honesty or a unique perspective. Violets parents are fantastic as well. They are supportive and they care deeply for their daughter. Her uncle Stephen is the same as her parents. He is not just an uncle to Violet. He is a rock for her to lean on when the situation becomes difficult.

The way Kimberly Derting structured her novel is fantastic. I love how there are chapters written in two different perspectives. It’s interesting to know what the main character is thinking but learning the thoughts of another character is very fulfilling as well.

Lastly, Violets ability is very unique. When I first read the summary, I was curious about how her ability would be worked into the story. Derting somehow wove this ability seamlessly into the plot and made the reader just accept the fact that this is a part of who Violet is. I did not once question how this ability could even be possible; I just accepted it for what it is When a story flows that easily, you know its written very well.

If you are trying to figure out your next book to read, pick up The Body Finder. You won't be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment